Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day 61 and 62: Bacharach

The first day we had in the Rhine, we slept. Like literally, the entire day was spent sleeping. We were obviously tuckered out from all the action going on!

The second day, we slept in again, but KP and I started to feel guilty for sleeping so much. But once we got up and going, it was beautiful! It was as if we were walking through an old fairy tale book. The cobblestone road was full of people moreso than cars, but it was not crowded. There was an old church up on the hillside that was known for its dark past of anti-semitism, and furthermore there was a castle up on the top! Bacharach is a village steeped in political history of Lords and Kings, and its history spans all the way back to the 11th Century. We were smitten by the landscape and the architecture. Thus, Uncle D picked up a 3 day pass to explore the Rhine! But oh my gosh -- the information booth was atrocious! Truthfully the worst information we've ever spoken to: they were rude, didn't know much of anything, and didn't seem to have the slightest idea on how to deal with people. They were quite uncouth, and I am pretty sure we would not step in to that building again. The lady at the pier knew more information than these people did!

We intended to pick up some groceries, but alas, the grocery store was closed during lunch hours. Instead we went and grabbed some pastries from the Bed and Breakfast, and went upstairs to play canasta! Unfortunately the Estonian lemonade we brought with us to Germany got the cards a wee bit wet. The lemonade was fine, but one of the decks was pretty much ruined. Of course, since it was just the three of us, we had to play three card canasta. Three card canasta is not quite as much fun as in pairs, but it did the trick. I won!

We went to the grocery store and bought some German sausages and sauerkraut, then cooked it up at the BnB in our kitchenette. Afterwards KP and I opted to go for a walk, and we hiked up the steep hill leading up to the castle Stahleck. Along the way we picked up one of the many giant slugs, and took some pictures pretending to eat it. There was an old German man who saw us and gave us the most horrified look!!

KP and I tried to stay up and watch television but we just got too tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment